Monday, January 13, 2014

Review: Her

So Saturday night I went to go see the movie "Her" with a few friends and I loved it. "Her" is one of those movies that doesn't seem like it's trying too hard and makes you think after you watch it. It's funny, though provoking, and kinda sad all at the same time.


Spike Jonze  wrote and directed this movie. The only other Spike Jonze movie I have seen is "Where the Wild Things Are" which I enjoyed so I had very high hopes going in to the movie. Joaqine Phoenix isn't really an actor I am familiar with, I just know that he did that thing..."I Still Here", he seems pretty strange. However, her was really likable in this movie! The movie takes place in future LA and Theo (Phoenix) works for this company beautifulhandwrittennotes.com, which I thought was really funny. So Theo is kinda going though an anitsocial, mopey, divorce phase and he decides to get this personalized OS to help him get organized and they end up falling in love.

I don't think anyone actually reads this but I suppose spoilers would start here.

This movie really makes the viewer feel a variety of emotions: joy, sorrow, pity, anger, and discomfort just to name a few. For me in the beginning of the movie during the first sex scene between Theo and Samantha I felt extremely uncomfortable and like "wtf". I'm not sure it Jonze did this on purpose because it is such a strange relationship, even in that future universe but then later I like the relationship that Theo and Samantha have more. Wait, I need to back track...Olivia freaking Wilde is in this movie and she look awesome and fucking Theo has a date with her and he can't even close the date properly. COME ON THEO, COME ON! Ok done with that. Anyways I found that my feelings about the relationship was always changing and I like movies that make you think. I would kind of compare this to a long distance relationship, which I have always said don't work. I believe that it's human nature to need both physical and emotional love and while long distance is ok for a few months or so it really will begin to take it's toll on a relationship. The only circumstance that a long distance relationship would work is if there is a foreseeable end to the distance at some point. This is where Theo and Samantha's relationship falls short. There was no foreseeable end to this "distance" and this is why ultimately Samantha left with the other OS's.

As far as aesthetics go, this movie is just so interesting to look at. It was largely shot in LA and Shanghai which is perfect (two favorite cities) and the futuristic touches the movie has are amazing. Apparently everyone in the future dresses like a hipster but everything isn't too farfetched. What's interesting about the movie as the all of the people in the  background are not interacting with each other they're all on there OS phone-future-pocketbook-thingys. It's interesting because it made me realize just how much time I spend on my phone daily. I honestly can imagine the future world that Spike Jonze created to be one that we may all someday live in.

Overall I give this movie 9/10 pretty much perfect. It was the best movie I have seen in a while and I definitely will see it again.



No comments:

Post a Comment